The purpose of this article is to help you understand and read the range optimizer results grid found in DotActiv software.
Please note that Range Optimizer is used to optimise a range based on certain variables or rules. The Range Optimizer applies rules to a range and DotActiv can apply logic to suggest a range. This function is also used when creating a new range.
On the other hand, range maintenance holds the current range and allows you to run basic ranges that have no rules. This allows the user to choose the range created in range optimizer or run the data from where the database is maintained.
Reading The Range Optimizer Results Grid
After opening DotActiv, navigate to the ‘Ranging’ tab and select the ‘Optimizer’ icon in the ‘Ranging’ section.
After opening your range, ensure you are in the ‘Tools’ tab.
Totals In Header
Below the column headings, there is a row containing the grand totals. You can toggle this row on by right-clicking and selecting ‘Visible’ from the context menu. Click on ‘Visible’ to toggle it off.
You can also toggle it on and off by ticking the checkbox next to ‘Totals In Header’ under the ‘View’ section.
You can view the Rule information that you’ve applied to your range by clicking on ‘Rules’ in the ‘View’ section.
- Range Suggestion: The range recommended by DotActiv is highlighted in purple. Based on the category caps and contribution. The tick boxes can be used to add products to the range.
- Congestion: Indicates the percentage congestion of the suggested range upon the planogram. It is based on the available space.
- Percentage SKU’s Ranged: Contribution of each group in the total range count.
- On Current Plano: Confirms whether the item is currently on planogram or not.
- POG Indicator: Indicates whether an item is currently selected to be part of the range. POG refers to planogram,
- Supply Indicator: Indicates if there is stock available for supply to the store. The value in brackets indicates the number of stores within the cluster.
- DISC Indicator: If checkbox is ticked, it indicates that the product has been discontinued
If so desired, you can freeze specific columns into place. Right-click on the column you want frozen and select ‘Freeze’ from the context menu. As the scroll, your chosen column will remain on the screen, as shown below.
You can toggle the ‘Highlights Legend’ on and off. In the ‘View’ section, select ‘Legend’. As seen below, a dockable window appears with the various highlights.
Only one highlight can be selected at a time.
- Recommended: These are the products that DotActiv recommends you include.
- Recommended vs Selected: This compares the products recommended by DotActiv versus those selected by you, the user.
- Supply vs. Selected: It takes into consideration the user-selected range. It indicates difference between the suggested range and the supply indicator. It also provides a warning, showing that there is still stock on hand but the item is not on the planogram.
- Changes: It indicates changes made on the grid.
- Changes From Live: Changes that are currently different than what is saved in the database.
- Warnings: This works with the POG and supply indicators, using a 5-week rule check logic. It’s only applied when using the range to POG function. When the POG function is turned off, it applies logic.
- Caps: It indicates when you exceed cluster or category caps. You can click on ‘Caps’ under the ‘View’ section if you need to see the values you’ve chosen. If too many items are selected, the entire supply column will turn red.
In the ‘View’ section, you can find ‘Clones’. It allows you to view relevant clone information for new products.
If it is greyed out, it means there are not clones.
Range To POG and Range To Supply
Once you have finished working on the recommended range, you click on ‘Range To POG’ under the ‘Copy’ section.
It’s recommended that once complete, you should view the Warnings highlight.
If so desired, you can also be ranged to supply indicator. Click ‘Range To Supply’
Within the ‘Select’ section, you have the option to choose and change your clusters.
Only if multiple splits have been chosen when running the plan. You need to save changes of the previous cluster to range as it will only save the range and not update the database.
You can view all clusters simultaneously. In the ‘Select’ section, click on ‘View Summary’ to access this. You can now work across category and range changes for all cluster at the same time.
Once finished, close the ‘Optimizer’. Click ‘OK’ on the pop-up window and ‘OK’ again to save the changes.
Refresh From DB
If you are unsure about what changes you made, click on ‘Refresh From DB’ under the ‘File’ section. This clears all changes and refers back to the original in your database.
Then click ‘OK’.
To save your range, find ‘Save Range’ in the ‘View’ section. Click ‘OK’ to save changes.
Once you are happy with your changes, you can save them to your database.
Click ‘Update DB’ in the ‘File’ section. This function will save your DISC, POG and Supply Indicators. When updating your database, it will also backup your database.
Click on update Plano button in ‘File’ section.
The ‘Range Optimizer – Update Planograms’ window will appear as seen below.
Here, you can see the planogram or directory of planograms you wish to update. You can also select the fields to update. Tick the checkbox to apply an update to the field.
You can also update your existing products, add new ‘POG products to a dummy shelf and removing facings from the product report.
With products not on the POG, you can decide what you want to do:
- Do Nothing,
- Move to Floating Shelf,
- Remove From Shelf, and
- Remove From Product Report.
You can also tick or untick the box next to ‘Keep Cross-Merched SKU’s’
Click ‘OK’ and ‘OK’ again after viewing the ‘Select Planograms To Update’ window.
Should the above steps not work, please create a support ticket and DotActiv support will assist you in uncovering the issue.