This article will provide you with a step-by-step process to generate a planogram manually in the DotActiv software.
Generating a Planogram
When manually generating a planogram in DotActiv’s software, you do not need to be connected to a database.
Steps to generating a planogram
1. Open the DotActiv application, click on the ‘Space Planning’ tab and then click on ‘New Gondola’. Your gondola will house the planogram that you plan to create.
2. A pop-up screen will appear prompting you to name your file and add the needed gondola dimensions and information. Be sure to have all the necessary information and to name the gondola with the correct naming conventions.
In the example below, we have used the following naming convention – CATEGORY_NOD. As seen next to ‘File Name’, we use ‘Salt’ as our category and ‘2’ to indicate the number of drops on the planogram. Alternatively, you can also incorporate your clusters into your naming convention.
Please note that you should always ensure that all naming conventions of your planograms are exactly the same, down to the last letter. Any reporting, importing or pulling of data is very sensitive to this. The slightest change to the name could prevent the data from pulling through properly. Also, check for any spacing between letters or words.
3. Once you have filled in the information, click Add & Close
4. In the Data tab, click on Select
5. Choose CSV to Shelf Plan
6. Import your data using the following steps:
- Click on Open file
- Select the CSV and click OK
- A File Settings pop up screen will appear; ensure that Comma is ticked under separator and then click OK
- Using the AutoMap function, click on Markets, and then select Automap
- Repeat for Product, Fact and Periods
- Select Import and click OK
7. Under the Tools tab, click on the Images icon to turn the images on.
Turning on Image makes it easier to identify products according to brand, segment and size.
8. Under the Reporting tab, click on Product report
9. Drag the products from the green shelf onto the relevant shelf of the planogram
The product report indicates the product information including the sub-category, description, brand and segment which assists you in allocating products to shelves and ensuring that a flow is followed.
10. Add, remove as well as move shelves around to make space for all the products on the planogram
11. To add a shelf, click on the Tools tab, and then select the Shelf icon. Drag the shelf to where you would like it to be
12. To remove a shelf, click on the shelf and press delete on your keyboard. For Mac users, hold Command and Backspace.
13. To move a shelf, click and drag the shelf with the mouse to the desired position.
Generating a planogram manually may be more time consuming than planogram automation. However, you can use this approach to get to know the products within your display hierarchy better; especially if you’re working with a new category.